Audre Lorde

Audre Lorde

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

JOURNAL #11

11. Ask and answer the one important question that a university won't ask you, but you wish they would.
(actually I am aware that a college/university would ask you this question... I misinterpreted the prompt... I think I answered the complete opposite of what the prompt intended oops!)

Why have you chosen your career and profession?

Throughout the course of my life, and I do believe this applies to many students, feelings of pressure and stress involved in fretting with "what should I be when I grow up?" has put me in fear of growing up into the adult world. Even so, as the time between the transition from a high school student to a  college student drew nearer, I still felt undecided. There are a main two factors as to deciding one's profession in my mind: the amount of money that is made from the profession and the passion for the profession, and if one of is lucky enough, these factors both work well. I decided to go with the latter and disregard the amount of money the profession inquires and go with what I have a strong passion for. Despite hearing of the constructed myths and possible truths based on assumptions or experience with the profession of other people, I will still not let them discourage me into getting me to saying that I want to be an artist when I grow up. It would be irrational for me to say that I want to be something otherwise because of all the years of dedication in practicing my skill since I was in the fourth grade, and having the mindset of going to an art college with all the known requirements for admission since I started high school as a freshman. My life is consumed with the urge to create 24/7 despite never attending an art class in my life, but the desire makes me self taught; however, I desire to learn more about this profession as I communicate with other artists, either amateur to students already studying art professionally. Sometimes, I am even torn between schoolwork and art, not to say that they do not go hand in hand, but in work habits as I desire to create in the upper-hand; however, I have to understand school work comes first, my hobby comes later. There are some cases where the urge to create is overwhelming and the dream of my hobby becoming career draws near. I have the skill to utilize to the best of my abilities from years of experience, the advice of colleagues, and the sheer enjoyment to create to get a head start into this profession

No comments:

Post a Comment