Audre Lorde

Audre Lorde

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

JOURNAL #10

 10. What is the best advice you've ever received? Explain. 


The best advice received is from the words of Dr. Seuss: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Many people get over their heads that in laying a foundation of a relationship they get self-conscious of people hating them for who they actually are and mask their personality, even to an extent of completely changing who they really are despite hating it. In this case, a person taking this approach should not continue in initiating a relationship with that person, for that person minds and therefore does not matter if they wanted a close relationship. I take heed to this quote because I want to express that I am different but in a way that people that are as different as me will be able to relate to me; therefore, those people would matter.
The quote aids in voicing opinion and to not overthink what other people say not only in relationships, but through actions importantly. Without the lack of confidence, one can never speak up or suggest solutions in a time in need, such as when a team is crumbling because there is no leadership established since no one is willing to speak up. Some cases, people who are unwilling to speak up are scared to do so because of the fear of disturbing the minds of others and causing abominable sentiments. 
This advice is important to me because as someone who wants to be more assertive, the paranoia of the opinion of others overwhelm me to not expressing my opinion because of my history of always emanating
a quiet demeanor, and it would be more pressing for me to speak up for me now as awkward tensions in my brain and throat are pressing.
 The quote also advises people to be more of an individual and instead of not letting their opinion left unheard, they can speak up for themself. The quote provides a confidence boost in myself and not only can it be applied to finding successful social bonds, it also paths a way to being a leader who can strive to fix problems. I try my best to heed this advice to its fullest potential despite the destructive nature I have left in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment